Hi there and welcome again to Equity, TechCrunch’s enterprise capital-focused podcast, the place we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
Earlier than we dive in, don’t overlook that the show is on Twitter now, so observe us there if you wish to see discarded headline concepts, outtakes from the that bought lower, and extra. It’s enjoyable!
Again to process, hear, we’re drained too. However we didn’t let that cease us from packing this week’s Fairness to the very gills with information and notes and jokes and enjoyable. Hopefully you possibly can chuckle together with myself and Natasha and Danny and Chris on the dials as we riffed via all of this:
- Journalism, enterprise capitalists, and never being a colossal jerk: Pay attention in for extra, however there’s as soon as once more a brouhaha on this planet of know-how twitter and media twitter regarding whether or not journalists ought to write extra optimistic issues about tech corporations (no), and if enterprise capitalists are a bit too thin-skinned for his or her web price (sure).
- Lemonade’s IPO went kaboom out of the gate, greater than doubling in worth. However the CEO isn’t too nervous. I spoke with him earlier than we recorded and he was extra occupied with getting a bedrock of strong, long-term traders than extracting each doable greenback of their increase. And Lemonade had a bunch of cash already, so it wasn’t an enormous concern.
- We additionally spent a minute on the doable Uber-Postmates deal, that may get introduced early subsequent week. That or Postmates actually is critical about going public. We’ll see.
- Subsequent up we needed to speak about Mirror, Lululemon, and what’s up with residence health. Is the development right here to remain? Natasha thinks so, and the remainder of the crew are fairly bullish as effectively. Particularly as it’s not like we’re going to get again to life anytime quickly.
- After that it was time to get to some funding rounds, together with the most recent from Neo.Tax, and a check-in on the early-stage Lessonbee, which sounds actually cool.
- We additionally crammed in a fast phrase on Opposite Capital and startup mafias, the Envision accelerator, Discord’s newest $100 million spherical, and we closed with the Last Luckin Letdown.
Proper, that’s our ep. Hugs from the workforce and have a stunning weekend. You’re all large and we recognize you spending a part of your day with the 4 of us.